As of the close of August 2021, aYo Intermediaries Ghana has paid over GH¢6.2 million in benefits to over 21,000 customers who made claims from their aYo “Recharge with Care’ (RwC) and aYo ‘Send with Care’ (SwC) policies.
aYo is an MTN Ghana mobile microinsurance subsidiary that provides affordable Life and Hospital insurance policies. As of August 2021, the company had a customer base of about 6.3 million subscribers.
TechGh24 can confirm that as of August 31, 2021, aYo had paid 22,041 claims to both Recharge with Care and Send with Care policyholders, with 89% being hospital admission claims while remaining 11% was death claims.
Out of the number of claims paid for, 21,834 were under ‘Recharge with Care’ while some 207 were under ‘Send with Care.
In terms of value, ‘Recharge with Care’ paid out about GH¢6.15 million, while ‘Send with Care’ has paid out over GH¢82,000.
Last year, aYo doubled customer benefits under its Recharge with Care policy. Benefits for customers on hospital admission under RwC was doubled from GH¢50 a day to GH¢100, while the benefit in the event of death went up from GH¢3,000 to GH¢6,000 per customer. That accounts for the huge settlement payments under the RwC policy. aYo Ghana further increased Hospital admission benefit to GH¢120 per day, this year.
TechGh24 gathered that the highest single claim settlements were GH¢6,000 paid to a ‘Recharge with Care’ customer, while that for a single ‘Send with Care’ customer stood at GH¢3,920 which was hospital admission claim.
aYo insurance cover is currently for 30 days and it is renewable. The more a customer recharges airtime on their MTN number, the more they accumulate higher benefit.
Premium for RwC is automatically deducted from subscriber’s airtime in bits anytime they recharge their airtime until a total of GH¢4.00 or GH¢6 is paid for the month. That for SwC is paid when one sends mobile money. The information on that is available on *170#, and select Send with Care.
Also, customers have the flexibility to boost their cover by buying cover manually using the MyBoost Menu option on the USSD or aYo App, app.ayo4.com and paying from their airtime wallet.
To make a claim, one can file for claims on the mobile phone by dialing *296#, and valid claims are paid immediately to your Mobile Money wallet as soon as claim document is validated.
For MyHospital claims, you need to submit a hospital discharge letter, excuse duty or itemized medical bill; and for MyLife claim, the customer must show proof of death – i.e. death certificate, medical certificate of cause of death, burial permit or letter from a local chief or religious leader confirming the death of the deceased person.
The backing documents can be submitted via WhatsApp number 0555948648 or app.ayo4u.com or at any MTN Service Centre.
MTN customers who wish to sign-up to aYo Recharge with Care insurance policy, should simply dial *296# on your phone and follow the prompts. You can also sign-up via app.ayo4u.com. Registration is free.
aYo Ghana currently has a staff strength of about 700.
Meanwhile, the MTN Group recently signed a partnership agreement with South African-based insurance giant, Sanlam Group to establish InsurTech alliance and sell insurance policies in Africa leveraging on technology. It is still not clear what that means for aYo Ghana.