MTN Ghana has finally withdrawn its legal suit against the National Communications Authority (NCA) saying it has rather chosen to engage with the regulator.
It would be recalled that following the NCA declaring MTN Ghana as a significant market power (SMP) the telecoms market leader filed for judicial review in the High Court but its case was dismissed.
MTN then went straight to the Supreme Court claiming the substantive issues it raised about procedural breaches were still unresolved.
But in a statement today MTN said they are rather engaging with the NCA in a concerted effort to settle the procedural and administrative legal challenge concerning the NCA’s declaration of MTN Ghana as SMP.
The statement said “Given the progress made so far, in good faith, on settlement discussions with the NCA, and Ministry of Communications, the company has withdrawn its application filed at the Supreme Court on September 4, 2020. It is our expectation that this action will pave the way for further discussions and an amicable resolution, in the spirit of the renewed channels of engagement.”
The company said it identifies that a collective goodwill and commitment is necessary to help the entire industry thrive and support Government’s agenda to enhance connectivity and the availability of communication services in the country.
“We are convinced that this decision is in the best interest of our cherished customers, shareholders and other stakeholders,” it added.
MTN Ghana then reassured its cherished Customers and Shareholders that their commitment to the delivery of a bold new digital world in Ghana continues to be resolute.
“MTN Ghana remains focused on providing the enabling technology to support Ghana’s digital economy through partnerships with the Government of Ghana and other Ghanaian telecommunication players,” it said.